Do You Live in One of America’s Kindest Communities?
By John Voket
If you are looking to live in one of the America’s kindest communities, a recent WalletHub survey can help. WalletHub calculated the Most Caring Cities in America – comparing 100 of the largest U.S. markets across 32 key metrics, including “homelessness rate,” “percentage of income donated to charity” and “special-education teachers per capita.” Some key points of the survey include:
– Memphis, Tenn., has the highest share of income donated to charity, 5.4 percent, which is 2.8 times higher than in Laredo, Texas, the city with the lowest at 1.9 percent.
– Virginia Beach, Va., has the most volunteering hours per capita, 45.9, which is 2.9 times more than in New Orleans, the city with the fewest at 16.0.
– Milwaukee has the highest share of residents who do favors for neighbors, 20 percent, which is four times higher than in Phoenix, the city with the lowest at 5 percent.
– Lexington, Ky., has the highest share of sheltered homeless persons, 98 percent, which is 4.1 times higher than in Fresno, Calif., the city with the lowest at 24 percent.
– Fremont, Calif., has the lowest child-poverty rate, 6.2 percent, which is 9.2 times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest at 57.1 percent.
– Lincoln, Neb., has the most residents who work in community and social services per 100,000 residents, 1,164.79, which is 3.3 times more than in Las Vegas, the city with the fewest at 351.25.
The listing is not without its peculiar metric, however. For example, Pittsburgh, which ranked 9th best among the top 10 cities on the survey also came in as 6th worst in percentage of income donated to charity per capita. And every one of the bottom five cities with the lowest percentage of workers who carpool also made the top 20 of best overall cities for kindness and giving – perhaps a reflection on urban density or the quality of public transportation.
Check out where your city ranks on kindness and charitable giving at wallethub.com/edu/most-caring-cities/.
Janet & Graham Ford SRES MSA CSP e-Pro Broker & Associate
Janet Cell: (918) 798 4428
Graham Cell: (918) 798 6628
Fax: 918 398 5330 & 800 829 9408
Real Estate Consultant & Marketer of Fine Homes “Putting People First”